What is Installation Sound?
Within the context of the delivery of construction or in case of sound complaints from residents, we perform sound measurements according to the Dutch standard NEN 5077.When carrying out sound measurements on systems in buildings we must distinguish between stationary sound sources, such as ventilation systems, and sound sources with a fluctuating character. With stationary sound sources the Leq is determined by octave band. As for fluctuating sound sources the Lmax is determined by octave band at which the meter mode is set on “Slow” or “Maximum hold”.
Buildings Decree 2012
With regard to the building regulations, installations are defined as: Elevators, toilets, all the technical provisions that deal with heating, ventilation and pumping in order to increase the water pressure (Hydrophores). There are regulations concerning these sounds in order to protect user comfort or living comfort. For example, an electrically operated door falls outside these regulations.
Determination Method: Research – Measurements
The number of measurement positions in the reception room depends on the size of the area and is furthermore in accordance with the requirements of the NEN 5077. The number of measurement positions is similar to that of the airborne sound insulation measurements (Depending on the floor surface). The processing of inconvenient sound, etc. takes place in the usual manner in conformity with the NEN 5077.
With sound installations measurements, all ventilation facilities fitted in the measuring space must be positioned in such a way so that the ventilation standard is met. The maximum sound level for installations shall be determined during a normal operating cycle under representative operating conditions of the installation concerned. Sound installations in homes shall not exceed 30 dB (A). In order to assess and measure that sound, the reverberation time and the volume of the space should be taken into account as well. The most common issues in conducting sound measurements with sound installation according to the NEN 5077 are listed below.
Conditions for carrying out noise measurements of installations:
- Water pressure: The measurement results are derived from measurements at the highest water pressure.
- Water flow rate/ pressure: The measurements are performed at maximum value of the run off and water pressure that may occur in heating systems.
- Air flow Central heating: The measurements are performed in a ventilation system. The ventilation system is adjusted as such, so that it meets the requirements of building regulations (Buildings Decree).
- Air flow: The measurements are performed in a ventilation system. The ventilation system is adjusted as such, so that it meets the requirements of building regulations (Buildings Decree).
- Load lifts: The measurements are performed in accordance with NEN 5077. Buildings Decree 2012 is combined with the code of practice NPR 5097, 2006.